[PD-dev] [declare -stdpath]: does it work?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 00:47:50 CEST 2008

hi roman,

thanks for bringing this one up :). just tested it on OSX and here is
what I got: it has some effect, but not as supposed. It extends the path
relative to the directory of the pdpatch (and not as stated in the help
"relative to Pd").
in your case: it seems your testpatch resides in
/home/roman/testpatch97.pd. therefor [declare -stdpath extra/mrpeach]
extends the searchpath to /home/roman/extra/mrpeach.
so all the lines that contain "tried /home/roman/extra/mrpeach/..." are
a result of the declare object.

The behaviour is definitely not as written in the docs, but it kind of
makes sense to make relative declarations always relative to the file
location as opposed to the pd binary.

so you can decide what exactly the bug is, the wrong behaviour or the
wrong documentation.

regarding the "relative to what?" question, I think both behaviours
could be useful (rel to patch and rel to Pd). Maybe "declare -stdpath"
should actually be "declare -relpath" (relative to the patch) and
"declare -rel2pdpath" (relative to the pd binary), but then is the
directory of "pd binary" really the directory that all paths should be
relative to? or as some other people already suggested, make it relative
to the directory that holds the "bin" and the "extra" (and the "src")
folder.

marius.