[PD-dev] representing parent patch levels as args

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Dec 7 23:27:42 CET 2008

So I am just adding support to canvas_name and window_name for
getting the names from other canvases besides the current one, i.e.
parent, toplevel, etc.  I am using the now standard numeric notation
that is used in [getdir], iemguts, getdollarzero, etc.

What I am wondering is whether it is worth it to add symbol versions
of those names too, like "parent" and "toplevel".  Or perhaps it
would also be useful to be able to stick the name of a canvas there
too, like 'pd-mysubpatch' or 'pd-canvas_name-help.pd'.  What are
people's thoughts on making that part of the standard technique of
looking up these kinds of things?

----