[PD-dev] cyclone and uppercase

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 13 20:42:48 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I also think that aliases are a bad idea in general, and I think we
> should always try to avoid them,

What have those aliases done to you!

So, is there any other reasons for shunning aliases than symbolic-links
not being supported by one of the major OSes?... Because that's one of the
arguments in favour of -lib.

I think that aliases can be quite useful, especially in combination with
$1 in the classname of an objectbox, and though aliasing can also be done
with putting a single objectbox in an abstraction (plus required [inlet]
and [outlet]), it still can't be done with variable numbers of [inlet]s
and [outlet]s.

> recent versions of Max/MSP (we're talking like 5 years old), it should
> also work with the downcased names.  If someone can come up with a
> better way to support this, I am all ears.

Use a loader_t (or t_loader) that makes the Pd system case-insensitive...
although it's possible that some people already rely on
case-sensitiveness.