[PD-dev] deb packages discussion

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 22 18:38:38 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> 2) remove "m_pd.h" from externals and use <m_pd.h> (why do I need to
>> have PD source to compile my external? This should be installed as any
>> other library and linked with -l option; the m_pd.h should be
>> installed on /usr/include also)
>
> sounds good

hmm, Debian's official "pd" package already installs m_pd.h into
/usr/include/.

personally i have long been voting for an official "pd.h" header, rather
than having the "m_" stuff lying around in my official includes.

for the PD_SRC, see below.

>> 3.1) Some build systems use a variable to point where is the pd
>> source. This is bizarre for me... let's make a pd shared library and
>> link to it...

i don't see it so bizarre.
there are two reasons for using a PD_SRC variable:
- first: m_pd.h is not installed on your system and you still want to
compile the external. or you want to compile your external against a
version of Pd that is not the same as the one officially installed.
this is something a developer comes along quite often.

- second, and this is more important: some externals depend on "private"
headers of Pd (s_stuff.h, m_imp.h); now one can argue that it is bad
style (though not necessarily "bizarre") to depend on private headers -
it's fine for me but for some interesting objects there is no way around
these private headers (personally, i think of iemguts; or all of the
loaders; or...);
it would get bizarre to put the "s_stuff.h" into /usr/include :-)

(ah yes, put everything into /usr/include/pd/ and then use pkg-config to
add /usr/include/pd to your path - this is a very standard way for
keeping /usr/include tidy and it is indeed quite similar to what people
are using the PD_SRC for)

finally, your conclusion seems to be more bizarre than the problem.
these PD_SRC variables point to the sources, not to the binaries.
i don't see how making a shared library (which is a binary) will help
you at all here. (e.g. on linux i never "link" against Pd; but on all
platforms i do need the headers)

> This is how it is done already on Windows.

which is true and good, but (as pointed out above) unrelated to the
variable pointing to the Pd source.

> - Windows and Mac OS X builds would remain as one big package unless
> there is a CPAN-type system developed for Pd.

i agree (and honestly i don't think a CPAN-like system will happen
anytime soon).

fmgasdr
IOhannes