[PD-dev] "modular" compositions of object classes

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 05:57:43 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM, mescalinum at gmail.com
<mescalinum at gmail.com>wrote:

> hi all,
>
> is it possible -in the context of writing a pd external class- to
> invisibly patch some other object and attach to it/bind it?

I guess everybody has missed the point of the second option I gave. Indeed
it is an extension to the first, but it doesn't have to do anything with
pd's arrays. The point of it is in binding your own externals to pd symbols,
thus allowing "yourself" (or themselves) to pass data between them (yes,
using the same technique as for accessing g_array data, but that doesn't
matter here). So considering that you want to "invisibly patch" something,
and that you thought of copying the g_array code - I thought this could be a
solution. Instead of doing insivible patch connections between some objects,
you access data from one into the other within their own code.

Now, if passing data between *your own* externals is not what you want, but
you really truly want to programmatically control patching to other objects,
then my proposal is not the solution.