[PD-dev] iPd

Christopher Niven christopher.niven at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 16 03:37:33 CET 2010

Hi Everyone!

First time poster here – I would like to introduce you all to my project, iPd.

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~chris/ipd/
http://code.google.com/p/ipd/
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/iPdProject

iPd is an open source port of Pd for the iPhone OS specifically designed for iPhone developers to utilize within their projects. The goal is to be able to utilize the flexibility of Pd within iPhone applications as a useful and interesting audio/control flow engine.

This project is part of my undergraduate degree requirements for Music Technology at McGill University, and my supervisor suggested that now would be the time to introduce it to you all. The project is still in its very early stages (there is a lot missing!), but here's what I've been able to do so far:

- sending messages from the iPhone application to interact with Pd
- receiving output from Pd to trigger events in the iPhone application

Again, there are a lot of features that are missing or don't work (there's no audio – yet), and my code is extremely messy at best. However, if you're interested, feel free to download the example project in the google code page and try it out for yourself!

Thanks for your time,

Chris Niven