[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Jul 9 22:34:46 CEST 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:53 PM, András Murányi wrote:

> 2010/6/27 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>
> On Jun 25, 2010, at 11:59 AM, András Murányi wrote:
>
>> 2010/6/10 András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>
>> 2010/6/10 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>>
>> and its not 2010-06-10 in NYC yet :)
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> But in Moscow it is, so the script could make space for the
>> following day's harvest too.
>>
>> Hello HC,
>>
>> still frequent failures because of the non existing directory. I'm
>> serious - if you want to give a chance to uploaders from 'earlier'
>> time zones than NYC you got to have the directory created
>> earlier.... (just imagine Japan guys, they'd have a crazy short
>> time frame to upload with the current setup)
>> BTW can we file bugs against the autobuild system on SF? I suppose
>> not...
>>
>> Andras
>
> IMHO, the auto-build scripts are a big kludge, so I don't want to
> spend more time on them.  And did the bulk of writing them.  :)  We
> should use something like buildbot, but no one has set it up yet.
> If you are interested, that would be a great project to take on.
>
> .hc
>

> Sounds cool. I'd be interested in picking up this project if you can
> help me with the things i'm not so good at: the first is platforms.
> Buildbot seems something web-centered, and needs Twisted on the
> clients too. Twisted is installed by default with Ubuntu and MacOSX
> 10.5+, available for Windows and the rest goes from source. This
> means, at a first glance, that Mac 10.4, Fedora and every other
> Linux than Ubuntu, will need Twisted to be built or prebuilt, and
> i'm not sure about 64-bit platforms and PPC. Python will be needed
> to, i suppose it's more widely available.
> What do you think?
>
> Andras

We should move this discussion to pd-dev so its archived and others
can contribute/learn/follow.  I hope you don't mind, I cc'ed pd-dev.

I think we can get twisted installed on 10.4 using Fink.  Its included
in Debian too.  We'll need to install it manually on Windows, or
however appropriate.  That said, I am not married to buildbot, if you
want to take on this project, feel free to research other options.
There are some that are Java-based for example.  I just remember
builtbot sounding like the best back when I looked into it.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman