[PD-dev] initbang and friends

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 19:56:23 CEST 2010

--- On Thu, 8/26/10, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] initbang and friends
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-dev at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 9:05 AM
> On 2010-08-25 19:16, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
> >
> > Also, if you roll too many of your own in Pd, you end
> up doing so at the
> > expense of portability.  I don't want to send a
> library of my hacks to
> > standard objects with every patch I show to someone
> else.
> >

> the implementation i attached in my last email was
> pd-vanilla.
>
> it's a simple drop-in replacement abstraction for
> [loadbang] which does
> approximately what you asked for (i used single click
> rather than double
> click).

I thought it wasn't possible to override internal objects with
abstractions.  (I'm guessing I'm right since you named your
object "myloadbang" and not "loadbang".)

So why are you calling your example a "drop-in replacement"?

> i don't consider "abstractions" to be "hacks" (at least as
> long as you
> give any of the usual negative connotations to the word).

It's a hack in the negative sense because I'm forced to care
about whether I remembered to send the abstraction along with any
patch where I use [myloadbang].  Or I have to remember to _not_
use myloadbang in simple patches, or remember to search and
replace before I send it, or to zip it up with the patch.
I'd rather have a hack in the positive sense, where I can really
drop in my [loadbang] abstraction, make it
override the internal, use the small convenience that I think it
adds, then just send my vanilla patch to others (who, if they're
just going to run my patch, aren't going to see the patching
convenience of the abstraction anyway).

I think there are other situations where the user would like to
try out a tweak to an internal object.
For example, I might use a Max compatible [t] object and just
continue to use it the way it is in Pd, but when my friends who
use Max send me one of their patches their [t f 0] objects will
work correctly.

-Jonathan