[PD-dev] status of verbose() in 0.43?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Feb 23 21:52:35 CET 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 5:38 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-02-23 09:05, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> On 2011-02-22 23:26, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> This would be very nice, I could see being about to double-click any
>>> line in the log and have it pop up which object made the log
>>> message.  I
>>> won't have time to implement this in the foreseeable future.
>>
>> well, the thing is that for now we only have to reserve an additional
>> variable "objectID" for the logpost(), which could be NULL/empty.
>>
>> logpost(objectID, level, msg,...)
>>
>> then, time permitting, fill in the missing code on both the C and the
>> tcl side.
>>
>> i only try to avoid re-defining functions in each release.
>>

> anyhow, here is a draft for how this would work (to be applied on
> top of
> pd-extended.git#fac011b1)
>
> apart from changing the logpost() functions, it also adds a new global
> method to Pd that allows for selecting/highlighting an object based
> on a
> symbolic representation of it's address.
>
> like alway, most work was spent in trying to figure out things in
> tcl :-)

It seems to me the way to really do this would be to have post() and
logpost() find out the calling object instance on its own, if that's
possible.  Then it would automatically apply to all externals, which
would be sweet.

Is there a way to get the current object instance that is being
processed?  That way post() could just use that as the object for the
traceback in the Pd window.