[PD-dev] double precision Pd: .patch files, tests and benchmarks

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 4 17:32:27 CEST 2011

On Oct 4, 2011, at 10:54 AM, András Murányi wrote:

> 2011/10/4 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>
> On Oct 4, 2011, at 10:19 AM, András Murányi wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 18:26, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 3, 2011, at 12:04 PM, katja wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have access to an ARM
>> machine?  If not, I could probably get one online with ssh access,
>> if that's
>> useful.
>>
>> I've mailed Joe White with the question if he can patch the code for
>> libpd and check performance on ARM. He has done some extremely
>> popular
>> RjDj apps and needed to optimize for them as well. Think it would be
>> good anyway to keep in touch with libpd users and app programmers
>> about this topic, even though we're in an early stage with it.
>>

>> Yes definitely, we should let everyone who wants to be get
>> involved.  I am just saying with need a development platform to
>> start with.  Once that's nailed down, we can deal with more issues,
>> like porting to libpd, dealing with externals that could be either
>> 32-bit or 64-bit, etc.
>>
>> I setup a nightly build on the macosx106-x86_64 and called it pd-
>> double.  Andras and r33p, if you are listening, could you run this
>> build on your 64-bit boxes also?  All you need to do is:
>>
>> ~pd/auto-build
>> cp -a pd-extended pd-double
>>

>> Listening now.
>> I did:
>> $ cd ~pd/auto-build
>> $ sudo cp -a pd-extended pd-double
>> What's next? Shall I try patching or rather pull IOhannes's  sources?
>

> If you have the run-automated-builder script in a cron job, that is
> all you have to do.
>
> .hc
>

> Ah, so tomorrow a single and double precision build will
> automatically be made? Cool.
>
> Also, as I was busy with my life (buying a flat) these days, and I
> couldn't follow the list as precisely as I wished, could you advise
> me what's the current best way to roll my own double precision pd?
> Because I would like to benchmark a fully optimised one.

That would great to have those numbers.  I just committed some changes
to set lots of optimization flags, since all of the build servers are
using gcc 4.x now.  So looking at this commit will show you the place
to set the optimization flags:

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data?view=revision&revision=15495

'make clean' in the various packages/* folders should work, but I
haven't throughly tested it, and use the rsync in the script to be sure.

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic