[PD-dev] Fwd: pd double autobuilds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Oct 9 18:08:25 CEST 2011

On Oct 9, 2011, at 5:22 AM, katja wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>

>> And yes, vanilla/ is an experiment in splitting out the internals
>> into a
>> library.  This allows people to write highly optimized versions of
>> it for
>> specific situations, like specific CPUs, and then use and
>> distribute them
>> easily.
>
> Ah, I see. If loaded, vanilla/ takes precedence over the corresponding
> core class definitions. I noticed classes like sqrt~ which have
> double-incompatible definitions so vanilla/ requires some
> modifications. Further I would like to work on cyclone as there are
> Hoeldrich style routines in it. I'll send an SVN write access request
> to the dev list, for these modules to start with.

With pd-double, the vanilla/ lib won't take precedence because the
internals are still statically linked in and their setup() functions
are called at startup.  The only way to access the vanilla/ objects in
pd-double is with a vanilla/ prefix.

I keep vanilla/ lib sources in sync with Pd so its maintenance load is
minimal.  So once pd-vanilla has double-precision support, vanilla/
lib will too

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.