[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-3519504 ] PD should not autoconnect to jackd

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 19 15:03:12 CEST 2012

Bugs item #3519504, was opened at 2012-04-19 06:03
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by blindekinder
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=3519504&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: v0.43

Initial Comment:
This was discussed many times:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-list@iem.at/msg07964.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-list@iem.at/msg26623.html
[...]
Pd should not connect automatically to jackd, at least, it should be an option. This is mac/win philosophy, where user choose it's output device, and pd route the outputs to it. Jack server is another idea: each pd ports can be connected to several I/O from different softwares/device I/O, and so it can be used as plugin or whatever.
My personal experience: in one patch, some outputs goes directly to L/R (out 1+2), other pass through a CALF compressor. Sometimes I get a sound from a device input (but not obviously In 1 -> pd In 1), and other from Ardour, etc... So every times I launch Pd, I have to disconnect every I/O in jack, boring...
For this complex routing, qjackctl patchbay do very well his job, and autoconnect pd to all jack client I decided, and same for MIDI.
Then maybe PD will be ready for compatibility with jack session / ladish?