[PD-dev] remove tk scaling

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 19 22:38:00 CEST 2013

[discussion of tk scaling deleted...]

> What do you gain by removing in?  I think we really need to stop wasting time
> on little details like this, and instead work towards real fixes.  Does anyone
> object to the idea of truly separating the GUI from the core?  I haven't heard
> them.
>
> .hc

I already gained something... I can read the Pd console output now :)

Anyhow, if by separating the GUI from the core you mean re-writing the Pd patch
editor in Tcl/TK, I think that would create enormous headaches.  i enjoyed
some of those with Max/FTS (in which the GUI layer was responsible for
editing) and Pd's separation of duties is partly a reaction from that
experience.  But now there's even a stronger reason - since the GUI is
now written in a scripting language it is likely to be very hard to get it
to the level of robustness and performance needed in an editor.

But perhaps you mean something else, such as putting an abstract layer between
Pd 'proper' and the Tcl/TK code.  That might be feasible although I think
it would still be quite a pain.

OTOH I recently talked with Peter Brinkmann about the idea of making an API
for 'graphics updates' (changing float and table values) so that non-GUI-users
could have an easier time seeing patch state.  This seems a manageable first
step...

cheers
Miller