[PD-dev] pd-extended exectuable - packaging for Debian

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Aug 13 15:17:37 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013, at 02:55 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Quoting Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me>:
> > As is now, I can change the name of the executable with the configure
> > option --program-suffix.
> > The files always end up in /usr/lib/pd-extended no matter what. Should
> > the config option also change that?
>
> where do you want the lib-stuff to go?
> /usr/lib/pd-extended seems like the right place to me.

Yes. It's the correct place for those files. Just thinking that if using
the configure option to add a sufix to the program name also the folder
/usr/lib/pd should be renamed /usr/lib/pd-extended.
But, since something in the pd-extended source already does this, in
some other way - I don't know how, the folder name will never change
AFAIK.

> > However, there seems to be a bug. It changes three files, not only the
> > executable.
> > I solve it by using a postinst script to rename the two files that
> > shouldn't.
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/bugs/1105/
>
> else i'm not sure whether i understand your problem.

Currently, my problem is renaming the executable. Building pd-extended
will create an exectuable named /usr/bin/pd.
Using the configure option -"-program-suffix=-extended" it is renamed to
/usr/bin/pd-extended.
However, as my bug report shows, two other files get suffixes as well.
/usr/lib/pd-extended/bin/pd-watchdog is renamed to
/usr/lib/pd-extended/bin/pd-watchdog-extended, and
/usr/lib/pd-extended/tcl/pd.gui-tcl is renamed to
/usr/lib/pd-extended/tcl/pd-gui.tcl-extended.
When starting pd, it won't find those files until they are renamed.

The postinst script is a workaround. I could also use it to rename the
executable too of course.
My thought was that using the configure option "--program-suffix" would
be the best way to rename everything pd into pd-extended. But, maybe
not?

> in any case, i can only reiterate, that  the "puredata" package
> already handles the renaming properly. the package build process has
> proven to work for years. i'm pretty sure that you could just take it
> and do a 's/pure-data/pd-extended/g' on the rules-file.

What is changed in the naming? I haven yet investigated.
The executable, or something else?

> i figure that the "pd-extended" package will only contain the patched
> version of Pd (that is: all the externals will be separate packages
> that are pulled in via dependencies). so the packaging should be
> virtually the same as for "puredata".

Yes, I believe so. Except, there seems to be some details different in
the build process. At least when it comes to naming. I have no clue
about what of course.

> gfmasdr
> IOhannes
>

> PS: i would highly suggest, recommend or even depend to use
> "Recommends" for declaring dependencies on externals whenever
> possible. according to the Debian policy [1], "Recommends [...]
> declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency". in practice this
> means that any package-manager (in their default settings) will
> install the recommended packages, but if the user decides to uninstall
> one of them, they will not end up with having to decide either to
> remove Pd-extended completely or end up with a broken system.
>

> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

Thanks. I will do that.
The idea is that we add a mass of libs to be installed with the package.
And using recommends does seem like the best choice.