[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 24 19:41:53 CEST 2015

On 09/24/2015 05:36 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> The problem I mentioned that you couldn't identify from my description
> earlier was that, if anyone ever loads an extern named "foo" (for instance)
> then all the search path business will be short-circuited when anyone says
> "foo" in an object box, as if "foo" were a built-in object.  This can happen
> even in the middle of loading a patch so that some "foo" objects get one thing
> and others another.  I don't know if this extends to other "loaders" or not.

ah i see.
the problem extends to anything that can register a class (via
class_new()), and loaders do that quite often. (after all, that's their
main business).

this is basically what could be solved with canvas-local
pd_objectmakers, and which is the part that *does* require careful
thinking (and a trip to the bahamas).

gfmdsr
IOhannes