[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Sep 26 12:44:54 CEST 2015

On 25/09/15 23:04, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I think the best "default" default would be to put things in ~/pd/extra,
> assuming there's no problem writing to that (and, I suppose, assuming it
> isn't shared among multiple users of the same machine).

I guess it's customary to put per-user application specific
configurations and other data in a hidden folder, so e.g. ~/.pd or
~/.pd-externals or ~/.local/share/pd/ etc.

To my mind ~/pd/extra is not that different to ~/pd-externals in that it
still forces the user to have a non-hidden folder in their home
directory. Whenever applications do this I find it mildly annoying.

> I'd like to get a better understanding of all this n part because I'd like
> to incorporate deken into Pd vanilla assuming its developers are cool with
> that.

I don't know about IOhannes [who at this point has probably contributed
more lines of code than me to deken] but I am definitely cool with that.

If this happened it would probably make sense to split the tcl plugin
out to go into Pd vanilla and keep the deken packaging script as a
separate project.

I mean, I would be ok with having both in Pd but I am not sure you'd
want my weird hybrid Python-LISP Frankenstein code hanging around in
Pd's repository (although we are getting close to Halloween so you never
know).

Cheers,

Chris.

--