[PD-dev] roadmap for Pd-0.49?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:14:39 CEST 2018

> On Sep 10, 2018, at 11:02 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 12:19:09 -0700
> From: Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu <mailto:msp at ucsd.edu>>
>
> To Pd dev -
>
> I've finally got a version of Tck/Tk 8.5 patched for macintosh to work around
> the key-up bug (by back-porting the bugfix from 8.6 and then making a
> further mod - the fix is on msp.ucsd.edu/tmp/misc/tk8.5.19-pd49-src.tar.gz <http://msp.ucsd.edu/tmp/misc/tk8.5.19-pd49-src.tar.gz>
> if anyone else wants to try it.

Sweet. I had forgotten about this. The fix seems to work.

I built a 8.5.19 Wish.app for macOS and created a Pd.app using it. If anyone wants to test: http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/Pd-0.48-2-tk8519-keyfix.zip <http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/Pd-0.48-2-tk8519-keyfix.zip>

Two suggestions on integrating this "custom version" for the release so people can also build Pd with this fix on macOS:

1. Update the default macOS Wish used for Pd: build a new Wish.app to replace the Tk 8.4 "Wish Shell.app" in mac/stuff/wish-shell.tgz. The mac/osx-app.sh script can already handle both "Wish.app" and "Wish Shell.app" naming and the default "make app" result would be to build using this new Tk 8.5 version.

If you haven't tried yet, you can build Wish using the mac/tcltcl-wish.sh and pre-downloaded src folders for both tcl and tk using:

    ./tcltk-wish.sh --build --leave 8.5.19

This will skip downloading the sources and build using the "tcl8.5.19" and "tk8.5.19" folders. The "--leave" flag is important, otherwise the script will remove the folders after it's done. I used this to build a Wish-8.5.19.app using your tk src tarball by first downloading the sources using the script, then replacing the tk src folder with yours.

You can download without building using:

    ./tcltk-wish.sh --download 8.5.19

2. Automatically apply our custom patch when building Tk 8.5.19 for macOS: I generated a diff from the tk source tree changes which could be applied by patch in the tcltk-wish.sh script when building 8.5.19 *only*. As 8.5.19 is basically EOL for now, it should be able to apply cleanly.

Since you have the older build machine, I think it's better if you build Wish.app for #1. I can do #2, if wanted.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>