[PD-dev] Saving comments

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 22:31:16 CEST 2022

Soo...I'm getting really tired of directly editing my *.pd files to escape
the newlines in my comment objects so that they stay readable when I
restore the canvas. After reading into the code, this looks like the root
cause is the insistence on using a binbuf as an intermediate representation
for the literal text.

So I have two questions:

1 - is this a thing that anyone actually cares about?
2 - are there any known pitfalls to adopting a more literal intermediate
representation?

re question 2: I've not really read through the entire parser, but I
recognize that there is meant to be some compatibility with the TCL reader.
TCL *can* represent complex string literals, so can that facility be
leveraged, or would that have to be brought into the general PD patch
parser (with all of the attendant complications)

- d
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt