[PD-dev] CI doesn't see 0.53-0test3 commit?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Oct 24 17:46:21 CEST 2022

On 10/24/22 17:15, Miller Puckette via Pd-dev wrote:
> Hi all (but sorry, Iohannes really) -

i'm not entirely surewhat you mean by this.
i do get your emails via the mailinglist.

> I'm back i nteh state where I can't push to github (I'm merging stuff
> on my own machine and "git push origin --tags" says it's synced but github
> still doesn't see the new commits I've made, or the tags.  So now I'm making
> a new branch "pure-data/temporary-merge", pushing that successfully, then
> whacking buttins on the github site to merge it into master.  This is stupid
> and I'd like to find the underlying problem but I'm stumped at the moment.

that's indeed weird.
it might be totally unrelated, but i have seen outages of the github
webinterface in the past weeks.
so maybe the simple solution is just to wait a bit longer?

also, i think a better monitor of the repo is to just do a local clone
besides your "work repository", and see what you get back (that is:
whether all the tags and commits you expect are there)

> Meanwhile, though, I've managed now to get github to see my "0.53-0test3"
> commit, and its tag, but now it doesn't show up on the CI system at
>   https://git.iem.at/pd/pure-data/-/pipelines.
>
> ... I think this might be related to the first problem and the way I'm
> trying to work around it, but I could be wrong about that.

git.iem.at takes a while to sync to github.
it basically works like this:
- you push to https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/
- gitlab.com regularly *polls* the github repository for new changes
- if there any new changes it pulls them into
      <https://gitlab.com/pure-data/pure-data>
- it then pushes these changes to https://git.iem.at/pd/pure-data
- this triggers the CI on git.iem.at

this was the easiest system to setup, as github does not allow for push
mirroring¹ (you *can* do that with a github-"action" (aka CI job), but
it's much more complicated to do it manually and requires changes to the
repository itself (which i don't really like) and needs to be guarded
against forks), and the free community edition of gitlab (that is
powering git.iem.at) does not allow for pull mirroring².

maybe things have changed a bit since i originally setup the mirroring
and they could be simplified.

gfmdsar
IOhannes

¹ push mirroring: whenever the repository receives changes, they are
automatically pushed to another repository
² pull mirroring: a repository watches another repository for changes
and pulls them.