[PD-dev] problem loading tcl tk plugin with binary

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri May 12 21:51:15 CEST 2023

Hi, I have a test release for ELSE up in deken and I'm trying a new thing
where it loads a tcl tk plugin when you load the library via the startup
path. The plugin is an object browser that creates a drop menu when right
clicking on a canvas, like the one I did for vanilla and you can get it.
The release is marked as "else rc8 test" and you can get it.

The binary code is in
https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/master/Classes/Source/else.c and you
get with the download a couple of tcl files, which are
https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/master/extra/else-browser.tcl and
https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/master/extra/else_tree.tcl

It seemed to work fine for me and others, I tested on old macbook aur from
2013 with mojave. It doesn't work on a 2018 intel macbook pro with mojave
as well, and gives this error.

The file is found and loaded,

*ELSE's object browser-plugin loaded via the 'else' binary*

but I get this tcl tk error right after

*(Tcl) INVALID COMMAND NAME: invalid command name ".popup"    while
executing"$mymenu add separator"    (procedure "category_menu::create" line
3)    invoked from within"category_menu::create .popup"    ("eval" body
line 55)    invoked from within"eval [read [open [file join
/Users/ale/Documents/Pd/externals/else else-browser.tcl]]]"    ("uplevel"
body line 51)    invoked from within"uplevel #0 $docmds"*

The thing is that if I load it as a proper tcl tk plugin it works when
laoding Pd, and it also works ok if I load the else binary not on the
startup but with decalre, for instance...

To make things even crazier, the same macbook pro on another partition with
monterey loads it just fine!

tested with Pd 0.52-2

realy lost here so I hope the wizards could help me

thanks