[PD-dev] double precision pd?

Antoine Rousseau antoine at metalu.net
Wed Jun 7 12:55:41 CEST 2023

Le mer. 7 juin 2023 à 10:47, Lucas Cordiviola <lucarda27 at hotmail.com> a
écrit :

> For me pd64 gives more chances of confusion than pdd or pdpd.

 (...)

> Starting with a new name of the app seems the most sane.

Funnily, my personal feeling is the opposite :-)
I feel that Pd64 clearly describes Pd working with 64 bit data.
I think that confusion with 64 bit architectures will become less present,
since nowadays most (all?) major platforms are based on 64 bit CPUs. So "64
bit" is just a particular taste of CPUs, as in x86_64 or arm64, which has
no direct impact from the user's point of view. If you want to work with
64bit-wide data on a 32bit PPC, you just need Pd64-PPC32, on arm64 it will
be Pd64-arm64.

To me, "pdd" or "pdpd" really sound like different apps, which I find a bit
strange (it's actually the same app, only different options).
I quite like Pd² or even Pd2, though.

.