[PD-dev] double precision pd?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 18:26:30 CEST 2023

Em qua., 7 de jun. de 2023 às 11:43, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> i think one of the questions is, where the name will actually be exposed.
>
> - of course, the webpage (https://msp.ucsd.edu/, https://puredata.info/)
> cou use whatever descriptive name to lure the people into downloading
> the right package.

yeah, I agree, just like now it has pd 32 bit application and pd 64 bit
application over there and they both are named the same. I don't see a good
reason to have a different name for the double precision version and I
think this is the one that will be the modern and "good one"... the others
will be there for compatibility to old externals and patches I guess.

> - personally I'm mostly concerned with package managers (and as said
> above: all package managers I know of have a way to handle the
> architecture (amd64, i386) more or less transparently)

can't say anything about this.

> - then there's the binary you run on your computer

I remember that at first, when it was all fresh news, the 64 bit had a
different name, now it's the 32 bit that has a different name. We could
have a phase where 'double' is marked.

for reference, pd ceammc already is available for double precision and they
mark the double precision version as 'double', at least on the download
section on github, for reference ===>
https://github.com/uliss/pure-data/releases/tag/v2023.02

cheers