[PD-dev] Fwd: help with some new multichannel tools

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Mon Jul 24 00:40:13 CEST 2023

Forgot to send to the list...

---

Buffer aliasing means that the input and output signal might point to
the same buffer. This is done to minimize memory usage and increase
cache friendliness. In practice, this means that processing happens /in
place/. You must not write to any output before reading the
/corresponding /inputs. For most objects this is not a problem because
for each sample you'd typically read the input(s) and then calculate the
output(s).

Problems arise when you want to write a whole output /block /before
processing/copying all the inputs. Here's a simple example: Say you send
the list [2 1( to your [remap~] object. In your original "naive"
version, you would copy the second input channel to the first output
channel (2 -> 1). However, since input and output alias each other, you
have in fact overwritten the first input channel! Now, when you go on to
copy the first input channel to the second output channel (1 -> 2), you
get unexpected values.

Side note: why do your channel indexes start at 1? Pd uses zero-based
indexes for almost anything, with only few exceptions (ADC/DAC and MIDI
channels, anything else?).

Christof