[PD-dev] Use Pd executable to debug an external

Joseph Larralde joseph.larralde at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 00:49:17 CEST 2023

Hi list,

I'm looking for advice about how to debug a Pd external using
breakpoints etc (on macos big sur ATM).
I'm actually experimenting avendish :
https://github.com/celtera/avendish/ while working on a new object.
I started from the suggested template :
https://github.com/celtera/avendish-audio-processor-template/
I seem to have a segfault at some point with the Pd object but can't
reach any breakpoint.
So far I have tried using CLion, as the avendish template is CMake
based, pointing at /Applications/Pd-<version>/Contents/Resources/bin/pd
as the target executable for the debug session.
This technique is working fine with Max/MSP but I can't reproduce the
bug with the Max version of the object.
With the Pd version I get messages in the system's console saying stuff
like "error: MachTask::StartExceptionThread (): task invalid, exception
thread start failed." and "Attach failed" when trying to start the debug
session.
Any ideas I could try ?
Everything I'm able to see for now is : Process finished with exit code
139 (interrupted by signal 11: SIGSEGV)

Thanks in advance,
Joseph