[PD-dev] help coding an object, I need it cause I don't know better

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:28:50 CEST 2023

Em seg., 9 de out. de 2023 às 16:37, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> Am 9. Oktober 2023 18:22:11 MESZ schrieb Alexandre Torres Porres <
> porres at gmail.com>:
> >
> >*var.c:80:22: **error: **assigning to 'float' from incompatible type
> >'t_float *'*
>
> Well it's just what it says: you are trying to assign a `t_float*` value
> to a `t_float`.
> A `t_float` is some floating type, and it is not allowed to use it to
> store a pointer.

Ok, your comment already did shed some light. And looking closely, the
[value] code actually uses *x_floatstar ... so let me get this straight,
that makes it a pointer then, so it works. Now, I'm also using the same
thing to create an array of values, that can be set with something like
x->x_fval[i]. This is where things get confusing to me. Now, in an
earlier version, this was working and initialized as **x_fval which then it
seems it is a pointer to the array of values?

In the end, the question would be how to initialize a variable that can
take the pointer correctly. Was the last compilable code from
https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/cd1406cff28baf1eb056d1500fb0d62694171306/Code_source/Compiled/control/var.c
completely correct? I guess I got lucky then and when tried to fix what
wasn't broken I just ruined it. And the bugs I was trying to fix were
unrelated.

Another good question would be simple online courses that could help me
understand things a little better :)

thanks