[PD-dev] How to free memory of t_symbol

Alexandros Drymonitis adrcki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 10:19:27 CET 2024

I have a data structure with a symbol and an array of symbols that store
array names defined as:

```
t_symbol **x_weights_arrays;
t_symbol *x_biases_array;
```

When I'm done with them, I want to free the memory, but calling
free(x_biases_array) doesn't seem to work, and once called, as soon as I
try to do something else in Pd (like unlock the patch and choose an
object), Pd crashes.

I have narrowed down the error to freeing these symbols, and I'm sure
the crash is not caused by something else. I scanned m_pd.h to see if
there is a function to free t_symbol memory, but didn't seem to find
anything. This might be something obvious for C-savvy people, but I'm
not one, so any advice is welcome.