[PD-dev] release April?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:08:33 CET 2024

Howdy Miller,,

sounds good. I agree with Christof that many of us have Easter vacation coming, so activity may go down.

I can highlight some current PRs.

A fix needed for libpd:

fix pd_this on Windows
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/2165

A couple of things I would really highlight as they are user experience paper cuts for many people. Plus, both PRs have been in development and use for some time by people doing self-builds and or through pd-next:

add tcl color variables to pd
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/196

snap to grid
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/739

There are also a number of gop fixes & updates in Christofs PRs which I think are important as they solve some common issues for people making custom GUIs.

> On Mar 12, 2024, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:47:51 +0100
> From: Miller Puckette <mpuckette at cloud.ucsd.edu <mailto:mpuckette at cloud.ucsd.edu>>
> To: pd-dev <pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: [PD-dev] release April?
>
> To Pd dev -
>
> I'm thinking of making a release mid April (assuming things go well) and
> so I should probably call for a freeze late March.? As usual I plan to
> merge in "devel" and "Documentation" - in fact I should do a first merge
> rather soon, assuming things are in a good state for merging.
>
> I'm planning to add a couple of features: 1. message to Pd to toggle
> between GUI and no-GUI -- perhaps with a way to reset the GUI startup
> command -- so that if you have a headless installation that's doing
> something funny you can pop it open and look; and 2. improvements to the
> "pointer" object to make it easier to get around data structures, and
> possibly a menu extension for dragging new "data" onto the screen; 3. an
> optional pop-up display showing (x,y) coordinates of object or data knob
> being dragged.
>
> Incidentally: I just noticed that the IEM slider object (and proabbly
> other EM GUIs) spits out a number when clicked upon, even if not
> dragged.? Is this desirable behavior?? It caught me out buit perhaps
> other users are actually wanting to be able to click on a control to
> repeat its value.? Hmm..
>
> cheers
>
> Miller

--------