[PD-dev] threads

Caoimhe &co kumoyuki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 05:19:53 CEST 2024

Hi y'all -

I'm about hip deep in what is probably an ill-advised project,and I have
run into a situation where I am genuinely stumped. I am running a build of
PD 0.53.1 and I notice that regardless of the audio back end I choose
(between OSS, ALSA, and JACK, anyway) that I get at least four threads
(more with JACK, but that may be my own fault) running PD on the latest
AVLinux (based on MX, which is based on AntiX, which is based on Debian).

What's up with that? What are those four threads all doing? I ask because I
have only found the pthread_create that are in d_soundfile.c (reasonable)
and d_fft_fftsq.c; and it certainly seems like none of those should be
active just from starting up PD without even starting up the DSP loop.

As an aside: is the code in z_ringbuffer.{c,h} considered trustworthy? I
note that the other code in PD appears to use the sys_ringbuffer* API,
which seems to be built on the PA ringbuffer. I ask because I had some
problems with z_ringbuffer.c and after a code read, there are some bits
which look sketchy enough to me that I decided to stop using it.

d/c/&cet
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt