[PD-dev] threads

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Fri Apr 12 11:57:55 CEST 2024

(taking it back to the list)

> So, just to be clear, are you actually saying that PD's audio
> internals *are* multi-threaded?
Of course they are! Otherwise we wouldn't need the lockfree ringbuffer :)
> The only occurrences I find in (0.53.1) of pthread_create()  are in
> d_fft_fftsg.c and d_soundfile.c. Where and how is the audio thread
> created? How many audio threads are there?

The audio thread is created implicitly by the audio backend. Typically,
there is only a single audio callback and thus only a single "audio
thread" per application.

However, an application may create additional helper threads to spread
DSP computation across multiple course. This is done by most modern
DAWs. Another example would be Supernova, the alternative SuperCollider
server by Tim Blechmann.)

Christof