NRPN controllers

James Phipps jphipps at texas.net
Tue Sep 28 23:20:02 CEST 1999

Someone more familiar with the inner workings of MIDI might be able to
answer this better, but the definitiion I have is 'Non Recognized Parameter
Number' or a control that manufacturers are free to assign device specific
functions to.

Korg's 'About MIDI' appendix says:

"To edit, first use NRPN (LSB) [Bn, 62, rr] and NRPN (MSB) [Bn, 63, mm]
(control change #98 and 99) (rr, mm: lower and upper bytes of parameter
number) to select the parameter. Then transmit Data Entry (MSB) [Bn, 06, mm]
and Data Entry (LSB) [Bn, 26, vv] (control change #06 and 38) (mm, vv: upper
and lower bytes of value, together expressing 16,384 step) to set the
value."

It goes on to say that my device (don't laugh, a Korg EA-1) uses only the
most significant bit.

Gracias, Danke, Thanx.
james

BTW: Anyone ever have their soundcard undergo an unassisted DC adjustment?
Mine (again, don't laugh... a Diamond MonsterSound) is now only sampling
half of the waveform on the left channel (the top half... i think the bottom
is somewhere down there) while the right is recording a constant calue of
about .8 on the 1 to -1 scale (Both record at about .8 if i record a silent
channel). Wave mutilation even happens in Pd if i simply have an adc~
connected to my dac~, Oddly enough playthough is fine, and soundfiles play.