-path vs. -open

Richard Dobson rwd at cableinet.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 20:04:32 CET 1999

Well, one doesn't really 'open' a library...and do we really need
synonyms for arguments?

anyway, there is an issue under Windows which I have been fiddling with
- file-association based launching, i.e. double-clicking a pd file to
launch it in PD. the default Windows mechanism is to send a program the
command "open" as a command-line argument, together with the selected
filename. This can of course be customized (as can dragging a file to
the icon), so that, for example,  I have set my system up so that in
addition to opening the requested file, it loads the GEM library too
using the -lib argument. Windows requires at leat one command to be sent
- you can't just delete "open" and send nothing. So even if "open" is a
dummy which does nothing, it still needs to be there.

I was planning to write up a small FAQ about this sort of thing - but of
course the usage for the "open" argument needs to be resolved first!

Having to enter command-line arguments within the Windows file
association mechanism is not the idiomatic way of doing things anyway;
every time you want to load different libraries you have to rewrite the
command-line for the association. An environment variable or registry
entry for a 'LIB' directory would be much more flexible, as I have
suggested previously.

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/rwd (LU: 23rd August 1999)