updates on various problems

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.UCSD.Edu
Sat Apr 8 22:13:53 CEST 2000

HI all,

In light of all the trouble people are having with "resync" messages,
I'm thinking about making "-noresync" the default, at least when running
stereo.  The "resync" checking is useful when it works, but it seems not to
work a lot of the time...

I've tried to recreate Guenter's problem with abstractions and "netreceive"...
I couldn't find any problems yet.  I tried both "netreceive" and an abstraction
in the same patch, and also a "netreceive" inside an abstraction, no problems.
The next step would be for Guenter to send me the patch he's running that
fails...

Finally, I tried for a while to get MIDI input with an emu10k1 card
(SB Live; although I expect to see the same behavior for the cheaper
"PCI 512".  Note that "PCI 128 has a different, older chip and does not have
this problem.  It seems that when you're using the emu10k1 driver, select()
doesn't report available incoming MIDI bytes, so Wini's s_linux_midi_io
code never realizes that there's data to read.

This is all under OSS.  I think the next step would be to make a bug report
but I can't figure out whether to send to Creative or to whomever provides
the OSS audio drivers in teh Linux kernel.

cheers
Miller