order of creation problem

Timmy B tim at timesup.org
Wed May 17 13:10:18 CEST 2000

Hi all,

 I have run up against a problem and finally (hours later) managed
to find that the solution was in the order of creation of certain
connections in the PD patch I was editting. Is this normal? I
gather this exists in the delread~ / delwrite~ objects, but
I was surprised to find it was in "normal" objects too.

To reproduce this problem, try the following:

create a number box, a message box with a bang, an int object and
another
number box

in the following order, connect:
  - number box 1 to bang
  - bang to int left input
  - number box 1 to int right input
  - int out to number box 2

then as one changes the value in number box 1, the value out of
the int, as displayed in number box 2, is delayed by one change.
If you remove the int 1 to bang connection and make it
again, bingo!, problem gone.

This smells like a bug, but if someone could explain the
featureliness of it, I would be happy.

I notice that the section in the manual that should explain
the ordering is not done yet (I have 0.29 - perhaps
I am just out of touch...)

Would it be correct to say that the outputs go out along connections
in the order in which those connections were made? What happens
then, at the next stage of processing..

any advice / recommendations / ways to spot such problems
more quickly, much appreciated. I do very little ound with PD,
perhaps this is better dealt with in the sound portion of the code.

who knows?

cheers,

tm

--