nVIDIA woes

Jason Freeman jason_freeman34 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 19 15:00:26 CEST 2000

1) I am using a Pentium III 866 machine, so if our problems are related, I
don't think the cause is the processor.

2) While there is a netreceive object in my patch, I have not had a socket
connection open for most of my testing.

3) In addition to my previously mentioned problem of rendering large font
sizes using nearly 100% CPU, using the pix_draw object also consumes nearly
100% CPU. Again, this CPU usage is from XF86 4.0 and not from pd.

4) To circumvent my current problem, I've redone all the text in my patch as
images and texture mapped them to squares. While this consumes very little
processor time, it is rather memory hungry (both from pd and from X). But it
seems to work for now.

5) One more problem of note: With the nVidia drivers only (not with MesaGL),
my Xserver crashes whenever I switch workspaces and a GEM window is open
with rendering turned on. If I turn rendering off, then I can switch
workspaces with no problems.

Any suggestions about any of the problems, or the previously mentioned
problem of the text3d object causing pd/GEM to crash, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
--Jason