A/D/A sync

pix pix at test.at
Mon Aug 28 14:52:57 CEST 2000

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Norbert Math wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 01:55:25PM +0200, pix wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > I'm using a recently purchased SoundBlaster Live under Linux with PD, and
> > I seem to be getting a lot of A/D/A sync errors. Obviously, if I run PD
> > with -noadc, I don't get any such errors (but then, I don't get audio in
> > either).
> >

> hello,
> i have a debian box with sb live and use the emu10k1 driver
> from opensource.creative.com (no alsa)
>
> i get rid of the sync errors if i set the "frags" flag (if i
> remember correctly , i start pd with -frags 50 )

i tried this just after i posted that message (a bit of belated
rtfm'ing). but i got a little sidetracked by the bizare output that
-fragsize gives. "OSS: requested audio buffer size 8820 limited to
xxx" where xxx seems to have no correlation to the parameter handed in.

but completely aside from that, messing with these values does seem to fix
my problem. thanks :)

i wonder if it would be of any value to build a pd external fro
controlling the digital mmatrix mixer of the live... looking at various
low-level info of the card, it looks like it can function like a 4 channel
mixer, completely separate from the dsp features of card. although the
prospect of in-pc mixing is probably a bit of a sin to your average
audiophile..

pix.