Automation

Richard Dobson rwd at cableinet.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 11:47:15 CET 2001

It seems to me there is a really very good idea here. The
OpenSoundControl (OSC) protocol has recently been added to Csound, and I
think a few other apps will add it soon, so an OSC port within PD would
seem to be a useful thing. With reference to VST, the idea of a plugin
(could be a DirectX version as well) which acted as a network port for
control and/or audio data seems very worthwhile for all sorts of tasks,
especially where some cross-platform code compatibility is important
(otherwise, one would just use COM). It might therefore be good to use a
general protocol such as OSC.

There is also the Network Audio Server project, at:
http://radscan.com/nas.html

which looks very interesting, especially if it would be possible to make
a native Windows port, so that VST/DX plugins could talk to it. If
indeed this hasn't already been done by anyone, I am interested to have
ago, as I am doing both VST and DX plugin development at the moment.

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 3rd July 2000)