using gem+linux for gigs (was Re: Gem segfault)

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Thu Mar 29 20:28:36 CEST 2001

I read:
> latencies using usb-audio solutions on laptops under windows (using
> audiomulch). has anyone on this list played with usb-audio (especially
> under linux), and what kind of latencies have they got? i'm hoping the
> latency isnt inherent in usbaudio, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was...

Not exactly, but I remember reading an article about usb midi interfaces
for professional (i.e. recording studio) application and it stated sth.
about general USB latencies being in a range that are unacceptable even
for tightly timed midi usage (not to mention audio).
So I guess esp. for mobile use we all rather get laptops with IEEE1394
ifaces and wait for good audio products here ....

hope that helps, if I can dig up the URL that info comes from I'll
let you know.

atb

chris at lo-res.org					We put the 'fun' in
http://pilot.fm/					fundamentalist !!!