Fwd: Re: [PD] a mailinglist about the use of Pd ?

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Tue May 1 05:03:59 CEST 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Nicolas Lhommet wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to know if user's questions are welcome in this mailinglist.
> You all discuss about bugs or implementation of new features, that's quite
> interesting, and I hope i will submit some externals or some bug-fix soon,
> but do you plan to create a new mailinglist dedicated to users, keeping this
> one for "developers" ?

I've been on this list long enought to know that the newbie questions are
welcome and rarely ingored.  I know that some couple of years ago i was
threatening the list with a simple tutorial for total begginers but I never got
to it because I didn't have access to a Linux box on a regular basis.  This has
now changed, I have a linux box at home and I already started writing a
tutorial that is starting from zero.  In a week or two (I'm doing it in my
spare time, of which I have very little) I should have something that will be
worth putting up somewhere.  I'm sure the guys at pure-data.org will not object
to putting it up there for everyone to use.  I'm doing it in html right away.  I
will announce it when it's done.

In the meantime, examples in the pd distribution are the way to go and since
I'm not a developer I will perhaps get involved in answering the newbie
questions.  Looks like the number of newbies is slowly growing.  While I'm at
it, I'd like to see a show of hands of people who need a newbie tutorial...  or
think it'd be a good idea.  I know that most pd users migrate from Opcode Max
(or other MAx flavours) and they don't really need basic stuff but perhaps
there are more newbies than I/we think...

Also, just out of curiosity, how many subscribers to the list?

cheers

./MiS

P.S.  sorry Nicolas for sending the message to you rather than the list.....