[PD] Anyone using pix_video under windows?

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Wed Jan 16 11:46:07 CET 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Jim Ruxton wrote:

> Hi Ben ,
> I briefly tried pix_video under XP with a DV camera on firewire and didn't
> have any luck either. Not sure if you saw this in the GEM FAQ.

firewire is not supported by the pix_video object. i hope i will make this
work under linux soon and then proceed to the windos-version (though i
have no idea where to find any documentation yet...but who knows ?)

> Anyone else have thoughts on this?
pix_video uses the standard video-device of windows.
usually drivers of "normal/simple" capture-cards (like bttv-cards...)
declare themself as "video-devices" to windows.
firewire-cards (like the pinnacle-dv500, for example) declare themself as
something different (like "extraordinary excellent card for video-editing
with firewire-support"), and thus are not known to windos-->gem as
video-devices. so they can't be used :-(
every card, that is listed under
system_configuration->multimedia->audio_and_video_devices
should be usable by gem

unfortunately i have no physical access to any usb-driven capture-cards,
so it is hard for me to debug any problems.....
...any help is appreciated

"If anyone knows how to deal with this, please let me know"

mfg.csa.dt
IOhannes