[PD] Using C++ sources for externals

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Wed Feb 6 10:07:14 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm considering for some time now to rewrite PDX7, my 6-operator
FM-synth-abstraction, as an external, because that patch is quite a
resource hog. This old plan is fueled again, because Juan Linietsky now
published his dx7 emulator rx-saturno, availabe @ http://reduz.com.ar/rx_saturno

The program source code is nicely modularised, so I would like to reuse
a lot of the code written by Juan. Unfortunatly it is written in C++,
which is no problem to me, as I know C++ better than C, but it obviously
is a problem for PD.

Now my question is: How could I reuse most of the C++ code, but still have
this run as a PD external? In my C++ books, the other way around (using C
libraries in C++) is well explained, but I have no idea how to use C++ in
C.

Do you have any pointers for me, what should I read, example code??

Thanks and bye,
--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______