[PD] at the cross-roads

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Sun Feb 10 16:15:43 CET 2002

am 09.02.2002 17:44 Uhr schrieb Krzysztof Czaja unter czaja at chopin.edu.pl:

> hi all,
>
> I have just started coding a multiple-instance-abstraction-embedder
> class (better known as poly~ in msp world).  The question is:  am I to
> a) do it in a simple way, which would suit all my current needs, or
> b) take into account a more general public, and _try_ do it well (no
> promises)?
>
> Krzysztof
>
> Where a) means using only remote interface (no in(~)/out(~)s), and
> banning nested abstractions.

Hi Krzysztof,
for me, the poly~ object in Max is one of its main advantages over pd (apart
from the better user interface) - so i would really be enthusiastic about a
comparable mechanism here.
I don't know too much about the internals of pd, but as i heard, in Max the
advantage of the in~/out~- over to the send~/receive~-approach is, that it
doesn't introduce the 1 signal vector delay then. I guess this delay also
occurs in pd, so, in this sense, i would rather back the in~/out~-approach.

greetings,
Thomas