[PD] Trying to configure Gem under Linux ... gltt not available

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Feb 11 13:31:50 CET 2002

Jim Ruxton wrote:

> Thanks Ben and Iohannes,
> Not sure what my problem is now.  I downloaded the gltt library and
> copied the files libgltt.so.0 and libgltt.so.0.0.0 (these are the files
> the rpm installed) to directories /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib . The
> configure script still can't seem to find  gltt?? Any other ideas what
> the problem might be. Thanks.
> Jim

link the to match lib*.so
like:
----
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/lib
ln -s libgltt.so.0 libgltt.so
---

on Debian systems (i do not know the policies for other distributions)
you should *not* install "private" libraries to /usr/lib/ (this is
reserved for package-installations)

on the other hand, i think that the configure-script only searches the
library in /usr/lib, and if it fails, it looks for a lib*.a (!!! static
library) in (subdirectories of) <my_src_dir> (when you are installing
from <my_src_dir>/gem-0.99/src/Gnu)

so maybe you should really link to /usr/lib/libgltt.so

well, i promise to repair the configure (although my personal edition
looks even worse by now, due to "repairing"...)

mfg.cd.asdf
IOhannes