[PD] linux basics and rme drivers

Ivica Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Mon Feb 18 23:28:32 CET 2002

PCI
> version of rme96xx; I don't know if this will work for the PCMCIA
version
> or not...
>
> cheers
> Miller

My guess is that this is because older kernels (up to 2.4, including
some of the 2.4 ones) have had problem with allocating non-fragmented
16MB pagefile for the driver (required by the RME) due to having already
fragmented memory at the time of insmoding the driver (the same thing is
with Alsa driver) which happened rather late on those kernels. Newer
ones would simply require a reboot, while older ones (I am assuming
yours is) insmod-ed stuff too late in the boot process.

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer, multimedia sculptor,
programmer, webmaster & computer consultant
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
ico at fuse.net
"To be is to do"   - Socrates
"To do is to be"   - Sartre