[PD] Scripting

_-¯-_ jdl at xdv.org
Mon Feb 25 16:07:48 CET 2002

 |> I thought about perl but I have to relearn perl every time I need to
 |> use it - its the only languae I use regularly that I need loads of
 |> reference books for
 |
 |Don't go Perl, go Python! This is of course flamewar stuff (and has
 |already provoked one on csound-list), but I can see a simple reason, why
 |Perl is not appropriate as a PD scripting language: It uses the $ to
 |declare $variables! Combine that with PD's own use of the dollar symbol
 |and I see a big mess coming.

the optimum would be something like a generic "script" object with the
first creation argument specifying the interpreter or autodetection from
file suffix whatever.

you could start off with .py but later or somebody else extend to perl,
php4, bash, java-ecmascript, funge98, &c &c ?

-- X D v · o r 6