AW: [PD] pd-gui wishlist

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Tue Apr 23 21:01:19 CEST 2002

  any how , i would like to hear more about what you and every one else
thinks about tcl/tk and why its the way to go for pd's gui editor .

Well, as stated some time ago, i'm not a friend of tcl/tk and i would
personally trade the client/server approach for a fast and more feature-rich
GUI. To my mind, a fast, OS native, but portable graphics library such as
wxWindows would be a good choice. That should not have an impact on
real-time behavior or latency if it is well implemented (on a separated,
lower-priority thread).
I'd like to underline that the client/server possibility should of course
remain, but i think it's not helpful to sacrifice the speed of a native GUI
for that.
I would be very interested how many projects are actually run with the GUI
on a separate machine and what the needs are for those applications, though.

greetings, Thomas