[PD] Local "variable" names question + messages

Josh Steiner joschi at eds.org
Mon Aug 19 20:33:12 CEST 2002

yeah, its really just another arbitrary aspect of a programming language
(remember folks, pd is a programming language, not fruity loops or
cakewalk :)

other examples of weird rules you just have to read up on and memorize:

* hot and cold inlets.
* depth first execution
* messages passed based on the order of how you connect objects

so while it took me quite a while to get comforable with $1's, it does
make a certain sense.  programming is a bitch :)

now, i think the notation could be changed to reflect arguments to the
parent patch and arguments to the object, but it would break
compatability across _all_ pd, max and jmax patches ever made... kind of
a high cost :)

-josh