[PD] External Port From Linux to W2K (fwd)

Carr Wilkerson carrlane at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Sep 5 04:36:30 CEST 2002

I have a home rolled external which I ported from Linux to W2K.  The
external is a physical model of a Tibetan bowl which employs 8
banded digital waveguides.

The port was done in Visual C++, and all the appropriate changes were made
to the external's code and compiled.  pd for W2K v 0.35, appropriately
recognizes the external.  My machine is a 800mhz P3 laptop.

On a Linux 500 Mhz desktop, on which the original external was developed
and tested, the audio and (massive) control patches worked fine with
minimal notice of processor overload.

Problem:  On my windoze laptop, with the exact same patches, and the newly
compiled bowl external, the processor is max'd out at 100%, causing
significant control latency, lethargic graphics, and no sound output.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems.  I somehow think there
is a problem, given the significant realtime buffer reading and writing,
with the way W2K dll is dealing with the buffers (as apposed to the lean
Linux way).  I would use Linux for this project if I weren't having to
deal with a MIDI interface without a reliable Linux driver.

Thanks.

Carr