[PD] gui [ot]

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Sep 16 13:56:50 CEST 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:54:51 +0200 (CEST)
CK <x at meta.lo-res.org> wrote:

> I read:
> > Also, what about if you have a directory full of 100s of mp3s and you want
> > to selectively go through the list only deleting certain ones. For me it's
> > quicker to use a graphical filebrowser and select the ones you want to
> > delete using the mouse - far less keystrokes than typing rm filename.mp3
> > each time. Other operations i find it quicker to use the command line.
>
> hmm I'm just fine with
> rm -i `locate -i ligeti | grep -i mp3`

I'm not just talking about the situation of deleting all songs by one guy. It might be images with serial numbers for names downloaded off your digital camera and you want to delete say 20 out of 100 which aren't in sequential order.

> or use filename completion ...

You still have to type the first few letters of each file, and also 'rm '. Do you still think that's quicker than a single mouse click?

> #!/bin/bash
> for FILE in `locate -i $1 | grep -i "\.$2$`; do
>  echo $FILE
>  mpg123 -q $FILE
>  rm -i $FILE
> done
>

> warning ... the above is untested if you use it to wipe your files,
> don't complain to me ...

Sure, shell scripts are all good - we all use them all the time - but don't you think that for certain activities it's just faster to use yr mouse than loading up the text editor, typing out the above shell script, saving it, and running it?

Chris.

Note: I am an avid command line user, but i'm trying to say that it's not sensible to discount gui filebrowsers entirely.
chris at mccormick.cx
http://www.mccormick.cx
http://www.sciencegirlrecords.com