[PD] GEM tips

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Tue Sep 24 19:39:13 CEST 2002

Enrique Franco wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a patch with two balls moving but the movement isn't
> smooth.....what can I do to optimize the refreshment of the images and
> get a smoother movement?

well, this depends:
first: do you have a fast graphics card ?
geforce should be ok.
the example patch 07.texture/04.moveImages.pd is a good starting point.
if the spheres move smoothly, try optimizing your patch
if they don't, you might have no hw-acceleration.
if the XServer (i guess osX is Xserver-based...) eats 99% this is surely
the problem.
try getting a good card with an appropriate driver.

if this patch is ok, you might want to set the refresh-rate of the
gemwin with a message like "frame 30" (which gives you 30 fps)

and of course be sure, that you update your movement accordingly:
a translation by 1 each second will naturally be more jerky than wee
translations of 0.02 each 50ms.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes