[PD] using other s/w with pd

Akira Abe akiraa181 at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Sep 29 19:17:38 CEST 2002

> thanks again for the reply but I'm not quite sure why this is not
> possible. Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it Pd
> uses portaudio in order to communicate with the windows
> drivers - which either support ASIO or DirectSound. Having
> looked at the code for the DirectSound release of portaudio,
> I recognise the directsound interface code for creating the
> primary and secondary buffer objects etc. - could
> I not intercept the code at this point implementing other C/C++
> interfaces to further process the secondary buffers before they are
> sent to the primary?

Yes, you could.

> I am presuming that I can use the C source code distributed
> with pd to
> implement pd in its entirety - ie. I can have a C or C++ app
> that uses
> this code to implement pd's functionality - or is this what you were
> referring too when you said the answer was 'No'?

No, this isn't.
The thing I wanted to say is that it is not possible to directly
exchange data between processes.

> I think I cannot use ReWire as I am from a university and therefore
> presumably am not allowed a license (according to the
> website).

I am sorry that I didn't know about license restrictions.

>Also which part of the source refers to making the
> connection to the
> tcl/tk application?

There are u_pdsend.c and u_pdreceive.c in the \pd\src directory.

> ...or am I just getting this whole thing horribly wrong?!

I don't think so.
My answer was too briefly.

Akira Abe
akiraa181 at yahoo.co.jp